Education & Reference

Thursday, March 12, 2009

English grammar help: how to use verbs after "to"?

English grammar help: how to use verbs after "to"?

well, I can't actually distinguish when I should change the verb to be "-ing" form after "to".
For example,
"I want to party."
here, party is a verb and it's not in a "ing" form
however, in some cases,
for example,
" I opposed to working with this group."
here we have "ing" form after to.

I mean that's not only the example,
can anyone plz explian me why it is like that and if you guys have any more situations like that, plz like me know.
Can you just jot down a list here to state in which cases to use "-ing" form after to?
thanks!


Best Answer - Chosen by Asker
"To" has two different meanings and functions in your two examples.

In "I want to party," the word "to" is part of the infinitive form of the verb "to party." English always uses the word "to" plus the infinitive form of the verb to express the infinitive form in a sentence.

In "I am opposed to working with this group" the word "to" is a preposition. "Working" is the participle form of the verb "work," so it's actually functioning as a noun in this prepositional phrase "to working." When "to" is a preposition, it has to have an object, and the object has to be a noun, so the participle form of a verb can be the object of the preposition.

That's the rule--I hope it helps and didn't just confuse you more :\

to + (the verb in present tense) = infinitive

e.g. "to run" is an infinitive

to be or not to be, that is the question.

Party isn't a verb

when adding ing to a verb do not use to

i want to go partying?

No comments:

Post a Comment